1. Programming Information
- System firmware can not be changed (stored in internal ROM).
- Application firmware downloaded by 3120 programmer before soldering on board, or downloaded in-circuit (after already soldered), on either a blank or preloaded 3120 image, using NodeLoad.
2.a NodeLoad - Comm Parameter and application firmware (*.NDL).
- used to change application firmware
“nodeload –dlon1 –w10 –Ltest.ndl”
- used to change Comm Parameter
“nodeload –dlon1 –w10 –Xtest.ndl”
- Used to check status information including device system firmware version.
- Change Comm Parameter (Echelon use only).
- used to change application firmware (*.NDL)
2.c 3120 Programmers
For 3120 programmers, the latest 3120 devices no longer uses the network to program the application firmware, it now uses a different interface which is not affected by the Comm parameter settings.
- Echelon 3120 Programmer (*.NEI) - non-ROHS parts
- BP and HiLo (*.NFI) – used to program application firmware before soldering on board.
“The flash application image file contains an EEPROM application image that is used for programming the on-chip EEPROM of a Neuron 3120E4 Chip or an FT 3120 Smart Transceiver. It contains the same information as the EEPROM application image file for the Neuron 3120 Chip, but uses a different format because of the different programming requirements of the 3120E4 and FT 3120 chips.“ The NFI is only used for certain Echelon and Cypress 3120 chips.
2.d LonMaker - *.XIF + *.NXE ( both provided by manufacturer) = *.APB
*.APB generated by LonMaker, only *.APB file is downloaded into a device
- Commission function – changes application firmware (same PID).
- Load function (LonMaker Turbo) – changes application firmware (different PID).
- Loadex function (LonMaker Turbo) – changes application firmware (different PID).
Note: NDL and NEI files are the same. NDL files are produced by the current Development tools.